Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Retro Tropic Card

I have to say, some of the new Designer Series Papers have really given new life to Summer Sun. When I saw Kristina's Werner's Color Inspiration Challenge #50, it reminded me of the Pink Flamingo DSP and I think using a strip of it at the bottom of this card really ties the card together. It feels very retro to me -- and also very tropical. So I'm calling it Retro Tropic.

I've been working on this card for the last couple days...I was really debating about using the Pretties Kit flower. After all, I've used the same flower in 2 of the last 3 challenges (CI47 and CI49). I hate to over-do it with the flower. But maybe it's like my lucky socks or something because the last two cards with this flower were picked for the Round-Up! That and I really wanted to mirror that aspect of the inspiration piece. So, I'm going with it! What do you think? Will it be another top 10 pick?

I have to show you this close-up. I used the 1/8" hole punch to punch little bitty circles that I glued on the yellow flower to cover up the Cameo Coral color that was originally part of the DSP. Kristina was very clear that we weren't supposed to use ANY other colors for this challenge, so I wanted to make sure I followed the rules!

The finished card is 5" x 5".

Supplies: Garden Greetings, Real Red cardstock, Chocolate Chip cardstock, Whisper White cardstock, Pink Flamingo DSP, Tempting Turquoise 1/4" Grosgrain Ribbon, Summer Sun Corduroy Buttons, Texturz Plates for the Big Shot, Circle Scissors Plus, Pretties Kit, 1/8" Hole Punch

16 comments:

Create Fabulous said...

I'm sure you'll get bonus points for mimicing the inspiration!! lol...great job with the challenge - it's so bright and funky!

I love the little details, too, with the hole punch that you created! Maybe this is your lucky 3 out of 3!

Rachel H said...

great card! I love flowers and last challenge your card was my fav so it must be the flower thing. great idea to cover the middle of the yellow flowers with white. Never would have thought of that.

Maureen P said...

Love your take on the challenge...very clever to cover up the "banned" colour :)

A Moment 2 Remember said...

I love it super cute card. Great job!!!

Anonymous said...

That is so fresh and cute!

Thanks for sharing!

Stacey Schafer said...

love your design! awesome use of circle cutter:)

Melanie said...

Julie, I have three words:
wow
Wow
WOW!!!!

BEAUTIFUL and I really hope to see this in the top 10!!!!

Two Happy Stampers said...

Definitely a winner!! Wow! It's an awesome card! =)

SharonD said...

This is a great card. Well done!

Traveling Mama said...

Super cute card! Love all the dimension!

Winter said...

So cute! Very fresh looking!

Cindy Malone said...

"Super Cute" card Julie, I'm lovin' those flowers!

Deanna said...

Just gorgeous!

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to say that this will make the top 10! BEAUTIFUL! I really like this color combo-you did fabulous!

Janet Strain said...

WOW! It really does look like the inspiration pic! Very cool. I love how you use the circle scissor and texture plates. I need to start using them too!

Rose Curtis said...

You used my favorite paper! Your card is way cool! I love it!